The Bente Skansgård Independent Living Fund aims to support disabled people in the exchange and growth of knowledge on disability in today’s society, and Independent Living.
Are you interested in learning more about the global Independent Living movement? Perhaps you want to build networks with other disabled people, or to organize activities or events that can make a difference for you and other disabled people. Or perhaps you would like to contribute to more of us being able to enjoy self determination, freedom and the ability to participate in society and working life? Even help to expand society’s understanding of what it means to be disabled? You can then apply for funding from Bente Skansgård’s Independent Living Fund. The foundation was created by Uloba – Independent Living Norway.
What can you apply for?
The foundation aims to support disabled people with monetary grants. These grants can provide support for activities such as studies, study trips, development projects, information work and peer counselling. The foundation can also grant support to initiatives in which disabled people work to improve the general population’s knowledge and understanding of the oppression we face.
How to apply
You may send us your application with any attachments by e-mail (link).
The subject field must be marked with «Application» and «year» (Ex: «Application 2021»).
The application must contain, as a minimum:
- A brief presentation of the applicant
- A title describing the activity that the application concerns
- The basis for and purpose of the activity
- A description of the activity, as well as the planned time and place
- A description of the activity’s expected effect
- The total budget for the activity
- The budget must give a concrete application sum and time estimate for the activity. (If the applicant has applied for funding from other sources in addition to Bente Skansgårds Independent Living Fund, this must be stated)
- Funds will not be awarded for ordinary operating expenses
- Contact information, including e-mail address, phone number and address, and bank account number (outside of Norway, also an IBAN number)
All applicants will receive confirmation by e-mail that the application has been received. The application must be received by the board of the foundation before the deadline each year, normally the 9th of February. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
We are the experts
A prerequisite for applying is that the activities that receive financial support from the fund must be based on the principle that disabled people are the experts on our own situation, both as individuals and as a group. It is we ourselves who are best suited to give advice and guidance to other disabled people (peer).
The Independent Living slogan “nothing about us without us” shall govern measures aimed at increasing the level of knowledge on disability among the general population.
Everyone who receives funding from the foundation must prepare a final report about the completed activity. The report must be submitted to the foundation no later than two months after the activity took place. If the activity period exceeds one year, semi-annual reports must be submitted in addition to the final report.
Those who apply for funds from Bente Skansgård’s Independent Living Fund must write both the application and the final report in one of the following languages: English, Norwegian, Swedish or Danish.
Other foundations to apply from: Rolf Bergfors Minnefond