The Independent Living Movement started as a grass-root movement in the USA in the 70s. The black people’s civil rights movement and Martin Luther King Jr. were of great inspiration to the pioneers of the Independent Living Movement.
• Uloba is the only cooperative on personal assistance in Norway.
• Uloba is based on the principles of the Independent Living Movement.
• Uloba is owned by disabled people and is run on a non-commersial basis.
• Uloba is open to everybody who wants personal assistance.
• Uloba’s service is available throughout the country.
• Uloba runs 27 % of all personal assistance programs in Norway.
Nothing about us without us!
The only difference between disabled and non-disabled is that we need assistance on a daily basis, some of us 24 hours a day. People who need assistance several times a day have to rely on other people more than the rest of the population. This can easily lead people to a sense of powerlessness. Gaining control over own assistance turns this power structure upside-down. An owner in Uloba must take the same responsibility as a manager in a company.
Uloba is a considerable resource for personal assistance. Our offices are located in Drammen – 40 km outside the capital Oslo - but Uloba has regional based peer counsellors covering the country. The majority of the employees in Uloba’s administration are disabled people who themselves have personal assistance.
ULOBA’s PRIDE IS HAPPY OWNERS WHO ARE GOOD LEADERS FOR THE PERSONAL ASSISTANTS!
WHEN DISABLED PEOPLE ARE GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO CHOOSE,
OUR CHOICE IS ULOBA!